His holiness, Pope Francis, has chosen the following intentions to be prayed in 2016
- Universal: That sincere dialogue among men and women of different faiths may produce the fruits of peace and justice.
- Evangelization: That by means of dialogue and fraternal charity and with the grace of the Holy Spirit, Christians may overcome divisions.
- Universal: That we may take good care of creation–a gift freely given–cultivating and protecting it for future generations.
- Evangelization: That opportunities may increase for dialogue and encounter between the Christian faith and the peoples of Asia.
- Universal: That families in need may receive the necessary support and that children may grow up in healthy and peaceful environments.
- Evangelization: That those Christians who, on account of their faith, are discriminated against or are being persecuted, may remain strong and faithful to the Gospel, thanks to the incessant prayer of the Church.
- Universal: That small farmers may receive a just reward for their precious labor.
- Evangelization: That Christians in Africa may give witness to love and faith in Jesus Christ amid political-religious conflicts.
- Universal: That in every country of the world, women may be honored and respected and that their essential contribution to society may be highly esteemed.
- Evangelization:That families, communities, and groups may pray the Holy Rosary for evangelization and peace.
- Universal: That the aged, marginalized, and those who have no one may find–even within the huge cities of the world–opportunities for encounter and solidarity.
- Evangelization: That seminarians and men and women entering religious life may have mentors who live the joy of the Gospel and prepare them wisely for their mission.
- Universal: That indigenous peoples, whose identity and very existence are threatened, will be shown due respect.
- Evangelization: That the Church in Latin America and the Caribbean, by means of her mission to the continent, may announce the Gospel with renewed vigor and enthusiasm.
- Universal: That sports may be an opportunity for friendly encounters between peoples and may contribute to peace in the world.
- Evangelization: That Christians may live the Gospel, giving witness to faith, honesty, and love of neighbor.
- Universal: That each may contribute to the common good and to the building of a society that places the human person at the center.
- Evangelization:That by participating in the Sacraments and meditating on Scripture, Christians may become more aware of their mission to evangelize.
- Universal: That journalists, in carrying out their work, may always be motivated by respect for truth and a strong sense of ethics.
- Evangelization: That World Mission Day may renew within all Christian communities the joy of the Gospel and the responsibility to announce it.
- Universal: That the countries which take in a great number of displaced persons and refugees may find support for their efforts which show solidarity.
- Evangelization: That within parishes, priests and lay people may collaborate in service to the community without giving in to the temptation of discouragement.
- Universal: That the scandal of child-soldiers may be eliminated the world over.
- Evangelization: That the peoples of Europe may rediscover the beauty, goodness, and truth of the Gospel which gives joy and hope to life.